Hello there! Thank you for dropping by. i hope you enjoy this easy khichdi recipe. If you are not familiar with spices, do not be intimidated. I’ve written alternatives in the Notes section at the very end. Enjoy!
PS: You can make it vegan too! See Notes 🙂
Prep Time 30min + 5min | Cook Time 25mins
3/4 Cup Basmati Rice
3/4 Cup Mung Dal
1 Red Onion
1/2 Inch Ginger
1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts
1/4 Cup Raisins
2 Chillis (optional)
2 Tablespoon Ghee (Vegan : See Note)
3 Cups Water
Salt to taste
– 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
– 1 Teaspoon Cumin
– 1 Star Anise
– 2 Crushed Cardamom Pod
– 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
– 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
– 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
and, always a sprinkle of love 😉
- Soak rice and mung dal in a bowl of water for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your vegetables : Chop onion, cut tomato in wedges, cut ginger in thin strips, deseed and cut chilis.
- In a pot, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee (or oil of choice) and add spices until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add ginger and chilli to the pot. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Add onion to the pot and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon of ghee and fry cashew and raisins till they brown. mix the tomato wedges in and wait until it softens.
- Drain and rinse rice and mung dal. Add both into the pot with 3 cups of water. Salt to taste.
- Wait patiently for khichdi to be cooked. The consistency you’re looking for is mushy rice. Somewhere between cooked rice and porridge.
- Enjoy! 😀
- To make it vegan, I personally love using coconut oil. It gives an added flavor to it. I would NOT recommend olive oil.
- Make sure to soak rice and dal long enough to make cooking easier. You can use a pressure cooker, I just don’t know how to use one without sending the lip flying through my ceiling.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have all the spices. For beginners, I’d recommend replacing the spices above with simply 2-2.5 teaspoons of Garam Masala.
- It took me 15 minutes for the rice and mung dal to be cooked. I cooked them on high heat.
- You can easily find these ingredients in an Asian grocery market.